Main Number: 401-268-6240
Ms. Maribeth Budlong, Guidance Secretary
Fax Number: 401-268-6220
CEEB Code: 400088
Welcome to the 2019-20 School Year!
Guidance Counselor Breakdown 2019-2020
The RIDE Advanced Course Network (ACN) will open registration for Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 courses on May 4th. Registration is now open and will close on May 29, 2020. Once you register for a course on ACN, Mrs. Toro will follow up with you. Please note the following:
- Registration will remain first-come-first-serve so please register as soon as possible if you are interested in taking a course.
- Students will be eligible to take up to two courses each semester.
- Students will receive dual credit (typically one-half or one credit for NKHS and either 3 or 4 college credits).
- Some courses are fully online while others are face-to-face. Be sure to choose the course(s) that best fit your availability and schedule.
Please consider taking a course as these courses help students get a head start on post-secondary success, master the skills required of a lifelong learner and be prepared for jobs in sectors critical to Rhode Island's future prosperity.
Guidance Google Classrooms: All students have been asked to join their class' Guidance Google Classroom. If you have not done so as of yet, please email your guidance counselor to request the class code. Guidance counselors post important information and ILP assignments to the Guidance Google Classroom.
Fall 2019 Visit to Senior English Classes: Counselors visited senior English classrooms to share information about the college application process and post high school planning during the week of 9/23/19.
NKHS College Application Guide
College Preparedness Checklist
Options Besides a 4-Year College
Senior Parent Night/Financial Aid Night: This event was held on Monday, September 16, 2019 at 6:30pm in the NKHS Auditorium. Counselors reviewed the college application process that will be shared in detail with seniors during classroom visits in late September. A representative from the College Planning Center of Rhode Island also spoke about Financial Aid and completing the FAFSA and CSS Profile. Click here to view the slides presented by NKHS counselors.
2018/2019 Classroom visit: Guidance Counselors visited all grade 11 English classes in November and in May. Please see below for information that was presented.
Class of 2020 Junior Presentation
2019-2020 Junior Parent Survey
2019-2020 Junior Student Survey
Spring 2019 Junior Classroom Presentation
Junior Parent Night Nov. 2018: Guidance counselors hosted Junior Parent Night. Please see below.
Junior Class College Info Session
Please see additional handouts distributed at Junior Parent Night below.
Class of 2021:
School Counselor Visits to Junior English Class Visits
School counselors visited all junior English classes in November. We discussed the importance of junior year and a “to do” list for post high school planning. We also facilitated a career and major search with the juniors. Please see the links below to view the materials shared with the students.
Class of 2021 Junior Year Fall Visit
Junior Year Fall Visit Activity
Slides from Post High School Planning Night 2020 that was canceled on March 12
Slides from Junior Spring Slide Shows 2020 May 13, 14, and 20.
Class of 2023:
- School counselors will be visited 9th grade advisories during the week of September 16, 2019 to discuss how to be a successful student and other important information about NKHS requirements.
- The resources below were shared with students:
2019 Freshman Handbook
How to be a Successful Student at NKHS
- School counselors have seen all 9th grade advisories in our Guidance Library during the months of November and December. During the visit we showed students where they can find their school counselor, school psychologist, and the school social worker. We also had students create a working resume that they will add to throughout high school.